Friday, September 3, 2010

Curbside Recycling

I, like many others, pay for a weekly recycling pick-up. Since using a private company to pick-up my recycling, the amount I recycle has increased and the total volume of garbage that I put out each week has dropped dramatically. It is convenient, easy and most importantly good for our environment.

Allowing every household to have the same opportunities and access to city services shouldn't come at the expense of the small business owner. I most certainly do not want to create a situation where by offering curbside recycling as a city service individual companies would suffer. Just the opposite in fact. The City will contract out, just as they do garbage, the recycing pick-up. The great recycling depot right here in the city will be the drop-off point for all city collected recyling actually increasing the revenue of the recycling depot.

Win for you, win for small business and a big win for our environment.

What are your thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. Yes please, make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In addition to this, there should be added incentive to those families who do recycle, thus reducing their garbage amount. My family of 4 (1 kid still in diapers) has only 1 bag of garbage a week. I drive through my neighborhood and see houses with anywhere from 4-6 bags of garbage out front. I know they are paying extra for anything over 2 bags, but I can't imagine what causes so much. I know this may sound totally unattainable, but if there was a way to track how many bags of garbage collected at your house per month and were given a bonus for meeting or having less than the allowed amount might be an incentive for people to be more aware of what they actually put in their garbage. I know I would try even harder to reduce the amount of garbage our family puts out if I were to get a monetary incentive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While recycling is definitely an important thing for ours and our children's future, we already have a wonderful recycle depot in Airdrie and the people who want to recycle and care about the environment are already using it or, like you, hire someone to pick it up for them.

    I think there are MUCH more pressing issues in Airdrie at this moment. Like the fact that we are in DESPERATE need of more schools and a local hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally enjoy bringing in my own recycling. It's like a little outing for my daughter and me, it also gets her excited to recycle and learn what can be recycled. I really wouldn't want that option to be taken away. Although I do agree that it would get more people recycling, and think that it is an important issue as we all would like to have a nice clean, healthy place to live.

    ReplyDelete

More about Me...

I am running for Alderman in the 2010 Civic Election for the City of Airdrie.

I love Airdrie and have lived here since January of 2001. My husband and I started our family here and look forward to so many more years of seeing our 3 children grow up and experience the great lifestyle that Airdrie has to offer.

I have fixed many of the world's problems at my kitchen table with friends and family - as I am sure you have too and if I am not fully doing my part to make things better, I can't be critical of those who are. I will do my best to make this city have a direction that will benefit it's current citizens ensuring that our future citizens will too be delighted. I want to be part of this changing and growing city's history. I want to ensure that every citizen in town has access to recreation in their own neighbourhoods creating the same quality of life for everyone. My job as Alderman is to speak on your behalf as you see fit, to allow your family to grow, enjoy and stay in Airdrie for generations. Being a voice for the citizens - being your public servant.

Establishing a true community within each neighbourhood, bringing a style and identity to our downtown businesses and growing our arts and entertainment culture are dimensions that I want to add to our city ensuring that Airdrie does not succumb to just being Calgary's "bedroom community".

City growth, intra-city infrastructure, schools and recreation are all topics that have many levels of government involved making them difficult for one Alderman or one council to correct - however, the squeaky wheel gets the grease... I truly believe that a city and it's council united and loud will bring forth change.

Many thanks to you for stopping by and learning about me. Please contact me at jennifer.berg@shaw.ca if you have any questions or would like any more information about me.

Please do go vote for your next city council on October 18th - no vote means no voice.